Nausea is a common symptom of Renal Failure. Many patients have poor appetite and can not get enough nutrition intakes, declining their immunity seriously. Therefore, it is very important for the patients with Renal Failure to know why they have nausea.
1. In Renal Failure due to glomerular diseases, as the glomeruli are damaged
seriously, they can not prevent the protein that body needs from leaking into
urine. As a result, it not only can lead to edema in their eyelids, face, ankles
and other parts, but also can cause edema in gastrointestinal tract. It can
disorder the normal function of digestive tract, trigging nausea, vomit and
other problems. If the patients can have proper natriuresis treatment and
alleviate edema, the symptoms of gastrointestinal tract will disappear.
2. Hyponatremia is also a common cause of nausea for the patients with Renal
Failure. There are several reasons for hyponatremia.
(1) In some cases, the fluid build up in body or the patients have over
intravenous transfusion, which can cause dilutional hyponatremia.
(2) In order to alleviate edema, the patients with Renal Failure should limit
the salt intake. If they limit salt improperly, it will be very likely to lead
(3) Metabolic acidosis may make the sodium in the cells to infiltrate into
(4) In some cases of Renal Failure, the patients’ renal tubule can be damaged
seriously making its reabsorption function so more urine will be discharged into
(5) Improper use of diuretics
3. Metabolic acidosis is also an important cause of nausea for patients with
Renal Failure. As the kidneys fail to discharge the metabolic products out of
body, much acid metabolites will deposit in the body, leading to metabolic
acidosis. In this case, the patients may have nausea and vomit.
4. Some medicines also can lead to nausea. If the patients with Renal Failure
use cyclophosphamide over time, it can injure their liver function leading to
nausea. If the patients stop taking cyclophosphamide for a period, their liver
function will recover gradually and the nausea and vomit will disappear.
5. The urea nitrogen level in Renal Failure is usually very high. The urea
will be resolved by the urease in the stomach and intestine thus irritating the
gastrointestinal mucosa causing inflammation and ulcer. According to some
researches, the higher the urine nitrogen level is, the more serious the nausea
The above article has introduced the main causes of nausea in Renal Failure.
If you have nausea, you should not feel panic, but should find the specific
cause of nausea and deal with it in a proper way. Any help, please email to