Polycystic Kidney Disease results when numerous cysts form in the kidneys, eventually enlarging the kidneys and reducing renal function, often progressing to Renal Failure. Currently, there is no cure or no way to completely eliminate the disease. However, the progression of PKD can be slowed through lifestyle changes. The following are some useful suggestions for patients' reference.
▪ Keep blood pressure under control.
In most cases, patients may have an increased blood pressure before the
damage of kidney damage. Hypertension may accelerate the kidney damage.
Lifestyle changes and various medicines can lower elevated blood pressure so as
to slow the decline of renal function and prevent complications.
▪ Eat a proper diet.
This can help delay the deterioration of kidney function. Patients with PKD
are recommended to avoid salty and spicy foods. A diet low in protein and fat is
also suitable. Fresh fruits are also beneficial to patients.
▪ Protect from being affected by a cold.
Patients should take care themselves carefully and change clothes timely with
climate variation. A cold, especially a repeated cold, will aggravate the renal
damage and accelerate the progression of the disease.
▪ Avoid factors that may lead to cysts rupture in daily life.
1. Drink less or avoid drinking alcohol, especially wine and liquor. Study
shows that drinking will accelerate the secretion of cystic fluid and lead to
the vigorous growth of kidney cysts.
2. Stop smoking. This will cause further enlargement of the cysts and
increase their risk of rupture.
3. Avoid demanding sports like football, basketball, baseball, etc. However,
golfing, walking, running, swimming is permitted.