Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) is a genetic disorder. The early prevention and treatment are very important for the patients to protect the residual renal function. Both medical treatment and diet play important roles in stopping deterioration of renal function. Therefore, the patients with PKD should keep a proper diet.
First, what they should not eat.
1. The patients with PKD should avoid eating spicy and hot foods such as hot
pepper, smoking (including passive smoking), chocolates, coffee, sea-fish,
shrimp, and crab and so on.
2. The patients with PKD should quit alcohol, especially white wine. Alcohol
can cause intense irritation to kidneys and activate the activity of polycystin
thus promoting the cyst growth.
3. Avoid eating fermented foods including soybean and other foods that can
accelerate the growth of cysts.
4. Do not eat too salty foods, especially cured foods;
5. Avoid eating polluted foods, such as unhealthy diet, tainted foods, and
leftovers and so on.
6. Do not eat barbecue.
7. Do not eat animal offal, especially animal livers. Lives have the
detoxication function of toxins and a lot of animal metabolic toxins leave in
the livers. If the patients with PKD have much offal, it will certainly cause
much burden to their kidneys.
Second, what they should eat.
1. The patients with PKD should eat more vegetables and fruits with high
vitamins such as carrots, corn, spinach, apple, strawberry, mung bean sprouts
and so on.
2. Eat more foods helping excretion of toxins such as black fungus.
3. The patients with PKD should eat some foods with diuretic effect, such as
mung bean, carp, and wax gourd and so on.
A proper diet is just an assistant therapy for the patients with PKD. What
they should primarily do is to choose an effective PKD treatment as early as
possible. In that way, they will be able to prevent PKD from developing into