For patients with Diabetic Nephropathy, if they do not receive treatment in the early time, all of them will develop End Stage Renal Failure. At that time, Dialysis is an important therapy for them to prolong patients’ lives. There are two kinds of Dialyses: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Both the two dialyses have advantages and disadvantages. Therefore, doctors should choose the appropriate dialysis method for patients according to their own disease condition.
1. Disadvantages of hemodialysis
(1) The patients with Diabetes often are accompanied by hypertension,
arteriosclerosis. Hemodialysis can cause the change of haemodynamics, which can
induce cardiovascular diseases.
(2) Some patients with Diabetes have retinal vasculopathy. During
hemodialysis, the patients use heparin, which can cause fundus hemorrhage thus
causing patients to lose sight.
2. Disadvantages of peritoneal dialysis
(1) For patients with Diabetes, their immunity is very weak. Therefore, it is
very likely for them to have peritonitis.
(2) A majority of patients with Diabetes have malnutrition. Peritoneal
dialysis can cause them to lose protein thus aggravating their malnutrition.
(3) Dialysate contains much glucose. It can be absorbed by body thus causing
the patients’ blood sugar to rise. Therefore, the patients must adjust the
insulin dosages according to their blood sugar level. If not, improper insulin
dosages may cause hypoglycemia and hyperosmolar coma thus threatening patients’
Therefore, the patients with Diabetic Nephropathy should be cautious in
choosing the dialysis method so as to avoid danger to thems.