Dialysis is a common treatment for patients at the stage of Uremia. It can help patients to expel the internal excess water and waste products, which effectively relieves the symptoms of poisonous. At the end stage of Chronic Kidney Disease(CKD), kidney is seriously damaged and renal function greatly declines, causing the retention of excess water and waste products. As a result, Uremia patients have to take dialysis to help discharge them and sustain life. However long term of dialysis brings about a series of side effects.
Here are some side effects of dialysis as follows:
1. The frequence of dialysis will increase and the time of dialysis will be
longer. At the beginning of dialysis, patients usually have some renal function,
when patients take dialysis more frequently, it will lead to losing renal
function. As a result, the symptoms of anuria will occur. Consequently, they
usually will have to take dialysis to sustain life.
2. Cardiac arrhythmia: about half of uremia patients will suffer cardiac
3. dialysis disequilibrium syndrome:
4. Heart failure: it is the most serious side effect of dialysis.
5. Hypotension: it is the most common side effects of dialysis.
6. muscle spasm: it mainly occurs in foot, arms and abdomen.
7. Long term of dialysis will cause a series of complications which threatens
patients' life, such as anemia, hypertension, infections, dialysis bone disease,
Dialysis is only a treatment which can help patients to discharge excess
water and waste products. It can not completely replace the renal function such
as secreting function. So when patients have to take dialysis, they should also
seek another treatment of this condition which will help them prolong the
frequence of dialysis or even get rid of dialysis.
More questions please consult our experts on line.