Diabetes is a metabolic disease in which the blood glucose, or sugar, levels are too high. Recognizing the causes and risk factors for Diabetes can help us have a clear understanding of the disease so as to treat it correspondingly.
Causes and risk factors for Diabetes includes two aspects: biological and
personal factors and health behaviours.
1. Biological and personal factors:
* Overweight and obesity, especially central obesity (accumulated fat around
the waist), are the strongest risk factors for Diabbetes. Take Netherlands for
example, 66% of people newly diagnosed with Diabetes are attributable to
overweight or obesity.
* Genetic factor. Certain genes are at higher risk for developing Diabetes.
This condition can be more commonly seen in Type 2 Diabetes.
* Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM). For children whose mothers are with
Diabetes have a higher risk for Type 2 Diabetes.
* Prediabetes. This including persons with Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT)
and Impaired Fasting Glucose (IFG) have concentrations of blood glucose above
the normal range.
2. Health behaviours:
* Unhealthy dietary habits. This includes a high fat and saturated fatty acid
diet which may result in IGT, higher fasting glucose concentration and elevated
* Smoking can increase your risk for Diabetes.
* Sedentary lifestyle. In this case, people are more prone to develop Type 2
No matter what causes Diabetes, we had better take effective treatment in
time, because long-standing Diabetes will lead to serious problems such as eyes,
kidneys, and nerves. It can even cause heart disease, stroke and so forth. You
can find associated articles in our website.