Damages Caused by Diabetes Complications
Diabetes itself is not terrible. What terrible is its complications and the damages caused by the complications. Many diabetics think that diabetes does no more harm to their health except high blood sugar. Actually it is not. Some damages caused by Diabetes complications can threaten people’s life. What are the damages caused by the complications?
1. Acute complication of Diabetes
(1) Diabetic ketoacidosis: This complication is the most common acute complication, which can be seen in Type 1 Diabetes. It also can occur in Type 2 Diabetes if metabolic control is poor, with severe stress. If diagnosis or treatment is delayed, it will result in death.
(2) Diabetic non-ketotic hyperosmolar syndrome: This complication can be seen in elder people. Severe hyperglycemia and water and electrolyte balance disorder can result in coma, shock and multiple organ failure. It has high mortality rate.
(3) Lactic acidosis: The incidence of lactic acidosis is low, but its mortality rate is very high. It occurs in patients with liver and kidney dysfunction or hypoxic disease, such as chronic heart and lung failure.
2. Chronic complication of Diabetes
(1) Cardiovascular complications: This disease is the main cause for death for diabetics. More than half of the cardiovascular disease is coronary heart disease. Type 2 diabetes is an independent risk factor for coronary heart disease.
(2) Cerebrovascular disease: Ischemic encephalopathy caused by brain atherosclerosis is very common in cerebrovascular disease, such as transient ischemic attack, multi-infarct and cerebral thrombosis.
(3) Diabetic eye disease: Lesions can appear in all parts of eyes for diabetics, such as corneal abnormalities, iris new blood vessels and Optic neuropathy. 99% patients of Type 1 Diabetes and 60% patients of Type 2 Diabetes who have this disease for more than 20 year can have different degree of retinopathy.
(4) Diabetic Nephropathy: About 20% ~ 30% patients of Type 1 or 2 Diabetes can have Diabetic Nephropathy. Some may enter into end-stage kidney disease.
(5) Diabetic foot disease: Diabetic foot disease is the result of lower extremity vascular lesions and Neuropathy and infection. Some patients may have foot ulcers and even amputation.
(6) Diabetes bone joint disease: The incidence of this disease is about 0.1% ~ 0.4%, which mainly results from neuropathy. Even though the incidence is low, it can cause dislocation, deformity, reducing patients’ life quality.
(7) Oral disease: The resistance to infection of bacteria decreases thus causing alveolar abscess, alveolar bone absorption and loose teeth.
3. Disease accompanied with Diabetes and Infections, such as hypoglycemia, metabolic syndrome, erectile dysfunction and acute or chronic infections.
Diabetics should pay much attention to the complications. Do not be careless, or damages will occur. Hope what mentioned above is helpful. If you want to know more about Diabetes or the complications, you can email to email@example.com.