FSGS kidney disease is one of the most serious conditions of Nephrotic Syndrome, and is characterized by glomerular scarring. The disease is serious and requires immediate treatment; if left untreated, it could progress to ESRD rapidly. Immunotherapy, alternative treatment other than dialysis and kidney transplantation, brings a ray of hope for those being tortured by Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis.
Can Patients with FSGS kidney disease Drink Alcohol.For many people, drinking alcohol is a pleasure in their life. However, for the patients with FSGS, they are generally not recommended to drink alcohol for it may cause the following impacts on them.
1. For the patients on medications, alcohol can complicate how medications work. They should check with the doctor about drinking alcohol while on medication.
2. Drinking can increase the chance of developing blood pressure. It can accelerate the renal function deterioration rate. If the patients have high blood pressure it can make it harder to keep the blood pressure controlled.
3. Large amount of alcohol consumption can cause much damage to heart, thus elevating the risks of developing heart failure which is one of major death causes of FSGS.
4. Alcohol can impair kidney cells directly and increase the risk of needing dialysis for the patients with FSGS.
5. As many patients with FSGS suffer from hyperlipidaemia, the carbohydrate load in alcohol can deteriorate this condition significantly.
6. Drinking alcohol can lower the body's immune system, which makes it easier for the relapse of the disease.
In terms of the impacts on body, the patients with FSGS kidney disease are not recommended to drink alcohol. If they do this, they should get OK from their doctors firstly.
Apart from abandoning alcohol, the following diet tips also work well in slowing the disease progress.
Low calorie beverages
The beverages plays a role in management of the kidney disease. The patients should limit the fluid intake to prevent retention of fluid so as to relieve swelling. They can drink water, low-fat milk and clear soft drinks and restrict cola soft drinks are rich in phosphoric acid which can elevate phosphorus in blood.
Also, the patients should reduce the intake of foods high in phosphorus, sodium.
As the patients' conditions varies from case to case, the patients with FSGS should discuss with their doctor or dietitian before making a kidney diet plan.